IGT Gives St. Christopher Children’s Home Residents a Boost
Basseterre, St. Kitts – 27 September 2018: Staff and students at the St. Christopher Children’s Home in Basseterre, St. Kitts were delighted to accept a cheque in the amount of EC$3,000 from IGT and Caribbean Lottery recently. This annual donation which was handed over during a short ceremony at the school will contribute towards the cost of school supplies (school bags, textbooks and uniforms) for the home’s students.
Business Development Associate at The Caribbean Lottery in St. Kitts, Sabina Harrinarain, who presented the cheque, noted: “We are pleased to lend a helping hand to the students at the St. Christopher Children’s Home. We look forward to maintaining this fruitful relationship through our After School Advantage (ASA) Centre, as we seek to enhance the young people’s educational experience.”
Caribbean Lottery is the trade name of Caribbean based lotteries which are wholly-owned subsidiaries of IGT Corporation that hold long-term licenses to operate lotteries in Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Maarten and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The Caribbean Lottery has been operating continuously in St. Kitts since 1996.
The St. Christopher Children’s Home is the site of an ASA Centre, which opened in July, 2014. It is sponsored by The Caribbean Lottery and its parent company, IGT. Through IGT’s global corporate philanthropic initiative, vulnerable children aged 5-18 have access to technology through the donation of computer equipment and educational software to non-profit institutions on several Caribbean islands and around the world.
Receiving the cheque on behalf of Administrator Ms. Margaret Stevens, Treasurer at the Children’s Home Ms. Corinne Small expressed her appreciation. “We are so grateful for IGT and Caribbean Lottery’s ongoing commitment to our students’ education. This will help our boys and girls get off to a good start for the school year.”
The St. Christopher Children’s Home is situated in the town of Basseterre, the capital of St. Kitts. In 1937, philanthropist Mrs. Millie Neverson began raising funds for the home, which was officially opened in January 1950. In the past year, the Home has opened its doors to approximately 30 children and young people – mostly orphaned, abandoned, neglected or abused.